About Richmond County Medical Society
In July 1808, a call was published in the Augusta Herald Newspaper for a meeting of the physicians to form a medical association. However, it was not until November 27, 1822 that the Georgia General Assembly incorporated "The Medical Society of Augusta, Georgia" which became the Richmond County Medical Society after the War Between the States.
This group developed Augusta' first hospital on lower Greene Street at the site of the Widows' Home. It had ten beds and cost $6,000. Its trustees provided treatment to the poor at no cost.
The Richmond County Medical Society succeeded in getting the General Assembly to pass a bill on Christmas Eve, 1825 creating the Board of State Medical Examiners.
In 1828 the Society influenced the Georgia General Assembly to establish and incorporate the Medical Academy of Georgia. Over the years the name changed to the Medical College of Georgia - "Undoubtedly the greatest single accomplishment of the Society" J. M. Hull, MD 1931.
The Richmond County Medical Society had several other noteworthy achievements.
- Creation and publication of the Southern Medical and Surgical Journal (1836),
- Organization of the Medical Association of Georgia in 1849 and,
- In 1835, Dr. DeSaussure Ford of Augusta sent a letter to the Deans of all medical colleges in the United States leading to the establishment of the American Medial Association.
The Society was instrumental in the establishment of the Board of Health in 1932.
In 1930 WRDW Radio produced 15 minute radio health-talks led by members of the Society. Continuing this historical tradition, the Society sponsors a weekly radio call-in program "There's A Doctor In The House" on WGAC Radio. This program, led by Dr. Paul Webster, has received statewide recognition as well as an award by the Medical Association of Georgia.
Our newest project is "Project Access." This program is designed to provide access to patients between jobs or temporarily in need of medical assistance. The Society has had widespread support by most of the hospitals within the county. This program began operations in July 2002.
Today the Richmond County Medical Society has over 500 members on its rolls. Our physician members serve on the medical staff of all area hospitals. Therefore, the Society provides the greatest opportunity for the exchange of scientific information throughout the CSRA.
The following is a partial list of benefits provided by the Society to members:
- Monthly meetings (meal cost included in dues)
- CME programs
- Full-time medical society office
- Annual Legislative Meeting with access to government officials
- Dues 100% tax deductible
RCMS Contact Information:
Daniel R. Walton, Executive Secretary
2612 Commons Boulevard
Augusta, Georgia 30909
Phone: 706-733-1561 Fax: 706-736-8055